Don’t let diabetes ruin your Diwali feast. Try these diabetic-friendly Broken Barley and Flax Seeds Laddoo Recipe
Ingredients for 2 Servings
- 1/2 cup roasted,washed & dried broken barley(dalia)
- 5 teaspoon ghee
- 3 teaspoon finely chopped pistachios
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seed powder
- 3 tablespoon roasted flax seeds
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered green cardamom
For The Main Dish
- 1/2 cup roasted barley flour
- 1/4 cup powdered jaggery
How to make Broken barley and Flax Seeds Laddoo
- Step 1
- For making this healthy dessert recipe, clean, wash and soak broken barley for around 4-5 hours.
- Step 2
- Then roast flax seeds on low flame for about 5-6 minutes or till you hear crackling sound. Let it cool and then grind it in to coarse powder.
- Step 3
- Dry roast the whole-barley flour without any ghee on low flame for around 8-10 minutes or till it turns golden brown. When done, keep it aside.
- Step 4
- Use a sieve to drain all the water from the broken barley.
- Step 5
- Now, heat ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan (keep 2 teaspoon aside to use later) and add the broken barley, roast them on a very low flame.
- Step 6
- Keep stirring and let all the moisture dry up, and roast till the barley turns light brown colour (It can take up to 20-25 minutes). Once done, transfer it into another bowl.
- Step 7
- In an another pan on low flame, heat 2 teaspoons of ghee and add jaggery powder. Let jaggery dissolve completely or till it attains a syrupy consistency, and turn off the flame.
- Step 8
- Mix the jaggery syrup, flax seed powder and roasted broken barley together (be careful with the hot syrup). Then add chopped nuts, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
- Step 9
- Now, add 3/4 of roasted whole-barley flour in it and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Step 10
- Take a spoonful of this mixture and use your palms to roll them into balls (size of small lemon). Add more flour if it is too wet.
- Step 11
- Repeat the same with the remaining mixture and rest the laddoos.
- Step 12
- Once it is cool, store in air tight container.
WHY IS IT GOOD FOR DIABETIC PEOPLE : Barley has a GI of 24-28, wheat has it in 60s, rice 70s, barley is a good switch in laddoos where you get the sweetness of your laddo without the side effect and harm on your blood sugars, giving you a win-win !! Adding fenugreek, nutmeg, flax helps in lowering sugars, and adding fiber along with nutrition to this yummy laddoo.